Thursday 11 July 2013

Minecraft Day 7 - 11 July

The Minecrafters were eager to get under way today. After another initial distraction with flares (boys love bright lights!), we were under way. Jg1025 appeared back after being banned, and was very quiet and humble, obviously having realised that his underground cavern had been discovered. He asked if we'd like him to fill it in. I said there was work to be done elsewhere, and no time to be filling it in. He worked well (after another momentary diamond distraction) building a food stall area in the courtyard, collaboratively with a team mate.

There was a pleasant hum for most of the session, although things got rather heated at one stage between members of the Blocknchips team. I know I should have left them to it to see what happened, but it was getting very angry - raging?! Hmmm, what WOULD have happened.... Anyway, up from the table and talk was my strategy. Sort it out democratically, vote (three members in the team, so majority rules), but make sure each member has something to work on and all have agreed before sitting down again. And boy, do they want to get back to work! So, a good opportunity to work on a strategy for resolving situations that they MIGHT apply again in the future in other aspects of their lives.

I tried to help out by filling in some of the spare allotments with grass rather than the current tiles. I was also called upon to destroy some accidentally placed information blocks. I found that, with this practice, I got quite a bit faster at moving around. I'm looking forward to having more time to practise and learn in the school holidays (over the next two weeks).

I don't think this theme park would meet New Zealand Safety standards - some of the stairways and ladders look very precarious!

I have discovered that there is a server log that I can view and print off, that shows the Chat log from the whole time the World has been running. It'll be interesting to read and see if I can analyse it. Should there be a log that also shows players' actions? That might be rather large to look through though, if it exists...

I have to check with parents and teachers, to see whether they will agree to us carrying on for another 3 weeks next term - we need time to polish a couple of things, time to play, let off fireworks, and explore each other's theme areas, and time to record the tours of each section with a commentary. Then I'd like to give these students the chance to try out the MinecraftEDU Tutorial. I have also asked our Principal if I can have a session after school on a Thursday, for those who don't have to catch the school bus. She was very agreeable, so I'll see if I can get this under way.

Students seemed keen on the possibility of playing in survival mode next term, and building crop farms according to the growth and science theme that will be the focus. Does anyone have thoughts on how to make this really exciting?

There was a bit of excitement as we began to disconnect at the end of the session, somehow an area got on fire, and the flames were beginning to spread - yikes! I think lava was involved, or somehow someone had accidentally started the fire in the cobbled area near the carpark. There was PANIC and urgent calls for me to unfreeze them so they could pour water on the fire. Phew, all was well. And this reminds me, I've noticed that the server does automatic saves (though DOXINWHAT says that's not what's happening, but I notice that when I sign out without saving, everything is exactly as it was when I return, and I carry on from the same position....).

Back in the staffroom, the teachers asked how the session had gone, and laughed when I told them about the panic with the lava and putting our fires etc. It had seemed so real!

I think that it might be fun to have a session for teachers later in the year, to have a bit of a play, instructed by the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it will appear after it has been seen by our teacher.