Thursday 29 August 2013

Farming Session 2 - 29 August

Unfortunately, I was away sick last week, and we had to miss an important session. So, here we were at Session 2, and with only one session left after this before I am on leave overseas.

After reminding students that I would be asking them who they had worked with, and who they had helped, they were underway.

There were a lot of technical issues at the start, but things mostly settled down until some students were experiencing too much lagging near the end. I thought we had ultra-fast broadband and had been snupped for fast wifi.....

I got myself into Teacher Creative mode, so was able to fly and have a look at the activity from above. But, I still caused a problem by being in the game and not sleeping in a bed at night, so eventually exited and just watched in the room. I hopped back in at one point, because Jg1025 wanted 12 planks while he was mining, so that he could help everyone with access to special tools. So I gave 12 planks to everyone.

Two students had missed the first week (NOCH and D1amond) and were a little overwhelmed at first, at being thrust straight into survival mode with others already underway. One fitted in quickly to another team, and the other felt they weren't able to join other teams that were already big, but when I asked, several students said they were very happy for this player to join their team.

Comments overheard during the session:

"Quiet! It's too noisy, I can't hear the chat." - nice that students want to hear themselves talking amongst each other....
"Don't take our crops!" I asked why someone would do this... The response was, "I bone-mealed them and they wouldn't have survived otherwise." Say no more.
"My pigs have been stolen..." They had been fenced in properly, apparently...
After 45 minutes I asked Ladder56 what crops he'd planted today, "Oh, I'd better get onto that." Hmmm, what is this project all about?

Crops planted or harvested today included pumpkins, potatoes, and carrots. There was also some cooking and eating! Roles evolved, with some students helping their team by doing specific jobs such as collecting seeds, bone-mealing (fertilising) crops, harvesting, mining, building expanded houses, exploring, cutting wood, or crafting sticks or making tools for other members of their teams. Diamond focused on surviving.


I will add more to this post when I have time. I want to diagram the relationships, like last time. But, I do note that every player helped others at some time.

3 comments:

  1. It was a really good session but people are way to NOT quiet and making things difficult for others (such as me)

    From D1amond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous08 June, 2015

    Very interesting. Iv spoke to alot of people alot want to start up another minecraft team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous08 June, 2015

    I enjoyed watching these creative people with their minds slowly drifting away into the world of Minecraft.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it will appear after it has been seen by our teacher.